Mass Shooting in Washington D.C.'s Navy Yard

Monday, Sepetember 16, 2013. Today was just a normal day. Accounting from 9:30 a.m. until 10:20 a.m., Japanese from 10:30 a.m. til 11:20 a.m., Technology and Social Interaction from 11:30-12:20, and then finally Microeconomics from 12:30-1:20. This was just a ordinary day for me. But once I glanced down at my phone and opened the text my friend in California had sent me, it was no longer just a typical day. The message read, "There was a mass shooting at DC Navy Yard."

My first reaction was just your common 'omg, that's terrible' type of response whenever you hear about another murdering, but when I re-read the location I no longer had that same indifferent feeling. My reaction instantly changed to 'oh shiaatt' cause that's the area my mom works in.

I immediately called my mom and thankfully she answered on the first call. Phew, she's alright. I asked her about the disturbance and she replied saying that she was fine and everyone in her building was put on lock down until further notice, but to my surprise she didn't even go to work today. My mom had decided to buy all the things I'd requested of her to bring when she came up for parents week. So did I inadvertently save my mother's life? Or is just because my mom has amazing good luck? Because this isn't the first time that her life could have been potentially in danger. But regardless, I'm just sooooooo glad that she's safe. A big sigh of relief.

If you haven't heard about this mass murder or would like to read more about it, please check out The New York Time's news article about it by clicking here.

Comments

Popular Posts