Okurigana? What? Why is this the first time I'm ever hearing of such a thing? Anyway, the way that My Japanese Coach describes it as follows:

"Okurigana is kana that follows a kanji but is still part of the word. All i-adjectives and verbs have okurigana. For example, 食べる. This is the word for eat, たべる.  It's all one word, but there are two kana letters following the kanji. The べる in this case are called okurigana."

I think they did a swell job at describing what it was, but honestly it's not really necessary to know what that configuration is called. All you really need to know is just that some kanji have hiragana after them that are included in that word phrase for it to make sense/be a word. Hopefully this little bit helps with your Japanese studies! :)

Popular Posts